Re: static _int_malloc et al

Wolfram Gloger wrote:

> Please keep them public.  If there are performance advantages to be
> achieved while keeping them public, please guide me and I will work on
> it.

The functions have never been public.  They were not exported from
libc.so and not used outside malloc.c.

Now as for providing the interface to users, this is exactly what the
libc should not do.  Once exported, always exported.  It would mean the
interface would have to be maintained even if the malloc implementation
changes dramatically.

I hope we all agree that this isn't going to happen.  I see that such an
interface is useful.  But then it should be in a library on its own.

Now, as for using it internally, inside libc itself, for Hurd.  Even
though I still think it's a bad idea I cannot and don't want to keep
Roland from making changes like that.  For this the functions should be
marked hidden if this allows generating the same code (it should).

--
--------------.                        ,-.            444 Castro Street