Re: newbie trying to compile libc 2.9 latest

On 7 Feb 2009, Justin Mattock said:
> Hey alright libc finally compiled.
> (the beast is alive);
> ran into some issues though i.g.
> there's some issues when compiling
> on a livecd(reason for gcc-core having the permissions
> denied; should have been in the home directory);
> also probably better having a created account to login into.
> Also ran out of disk space(I guess compiling gcc-core takes more
> than I had anticipated)

'make bootstrap-lean' deletes bootstrap phases after successful
comparison and takes less space. By default, like all GNU packages,
debugging information is included; this is a huge space hog: give
it a Gb to be safe.

> Anyways after finally seeing libc complete,
> I issued sudo make install

ARGH! I said repeatedly *make install install_root=/somewhere/or/other*

You just overwrote your system's C library (or, rather, the critical
symlinks in /lib: you only blew away the C library itself if you
happened to be running the same version that you compiled).

Think five times before running things as root that might ruin your
whole system when run (there's exactly one such installation command:
unfortunately for you it's glibc. 'ruin' == 'might have to boot off
a CD to get your system back to life').

> and then started receiving
> Segmentation fault (core dump) in the terminal.

Unsurprising. You *can* install glibc safely on a running system,
but the process starts with a 'make install install_root=...' followed
by an atomic move.

>   ./configure ABI=32
> CC=/home/name/Desktop/source/usr/local/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-4.4.0
> --build=core2 CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" MAKEOPTS="-j3"

'core2' is not a valid system configuration triplet. -fomit-frame-pointer
is provided by glibc if you configure with --enable-omitfp...