RE: Allin Cottrell: ld-2.10.1.so

Hi,

> I wonder, can anyone replicate, or explain away (or account for in
> any way) the segfaults in ld-2.10.1.so that I reported here
> (libc-help archive, May 13)?
>
> As I mentioned, the segfaults resulted from dereferencing a NULL
> value of the pointer variable "dl_random" in the function
> _dl_setup_stack_chk_guard (defined in
> sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/dl-osinfo.h).  And the problem went away
> when I manually undef'd __ASSUME_AT_RANDOM, the definition of
> which is the trigger for accessing dl_random (in the function
> security_init in elf/rtld.c, which includes dl-osinfo.h).
>
> FWIW, I note that in security_init, dl_random is set to NULL after
> it is used.

I do not know if this makes sense for you, but I noticed that you built
with gcc-4.4.0:

> waverley:~$ gcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu
> Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/opt/gcc4 --with-arch=i486
> --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --disable-nls
> --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC)

This caused troubles for me with 2.10.1: various programs started
segfaulting immediately after installation.

After cleaning and rebuilding with gcc-4.2.1 everything was (and is
still) fine. This on two different (gnu-linux) boxes.

I did not go through deeper than this: using gcc-4.2.1 instead of latest
gcc-4.4.0 just fixed everything.

Actually, the INSTALL file says:

   * GCC 3.4 or newer, GCC 4.1 recommended

Hope this helps

ciao
gabriele

--
Gabriele Balducci - Dipartimento di Scienze Chimiche - Via L. Giorgieri 1
I-34127 TRIESTE tel: I-040-5583957 fax: I-040-5583903 e-mail: balducci@units.it