Static Linking

Some functions in glibc like gethostbyaddr don't like to be statically linked (well, you can, but they require the dynamic libraries, defeating the purpose of static linking). Is there some rationale behind this? (beyond hurr durr static linking sucks why do you use it; i know, Ulrich)
I don't mean to start a religious flamewar about static vs dynamic linking; I'd just like to hear why this decision was made.

aiju