Re: How to build the elf interpreter (ld-linux.so.2/ld-2.17.so) as static library?

On 01/08/13 16:17, Borislav Peev wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@systemhalted.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Borislav Peev <borislav.asdf@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> [Requesting program interpreter: /lib/ld-linux.so.2]
>>>
>>> I traced this library ld-linux-so.2 to be part of glibc. I am not very
>>> happy with this behaviour because it makes the binary very unportable
>>
>> It does not make the binary unportable.
>>
>> Distributions all agree upon the dynamic loader name for a
>> given target architecture.
>>

> So it doesn't make the binary unportable among distributions which are
> in agreement. I see.
> What if I want my distro to have something different and I do not
> agree with something?
> How could we ever improve if we agree with everything all the time?
>
>> What kind of portability are you looking for?
>>

> The kind where you I'll be able to test a new concept for my distro
> without having to
> get into kernel development.

Perhaps just run with /lib/ld-linux.so.2 being a symlink to wherever you
feel like for the time being.  Once your new concept works out, you can
address this.  The /lib directory is becoming a symlink in many distros,
so they are doing this already.

<snip>

>> There are serious problems with linking statically.
>
> Could you please elaborate on this one, because I am not aware of such
> problems. As far as I
> know statically linked executable will work forever in the same way as
> long as the ELF/PE/ETC
> format is supported by the OS, which is great if this is what you intend.

E.g.:
http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/no_static_linking.html