Re: locale name for sub-country dialects?

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:42:34AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Robert Millan]
> > Nobody knows?
>
> I do not know, but have a few observations and suggestions.  I assume
> you have found <URL:http://www.student.uit.no/~pere/linux/glibc/>.

I hadn't.  Thanks for the pointer.

> If there are two or three letter ISO language codes, use them.  if
> these do not exist, you need to present a convincing case for the need
> o fa new locale, and it is probably easier to get a ISO language code
> than convincing the glibc maintainers that there is a need.  Normally
> the dialects without their own language codes are expected to use the
> official language code and locale.

No, that's not the case.  It is like the other dialects except it isn't
delimited to a particular country to identify it.

> If there is no unique language code, and you still want to make your
> own variation, then modifieres need to be used.  @modifier is appended
> to the locale name, and the only info I have been able to gather on
> modifiers is available from the URL mentioned above.

Well, that at least confirms there aren't any known requisites.

> Sorry for not being to more help.  I'm still struggeling to understand
> what will be accepted by the glibc maintainers. :)

No problem.  Thank you,

--
Robert Millan