Re: How to add crh.po, and tt@iqtel locale's .po for gettext

Hi ReÅat,

Reshat Sabiq (Res,at) wrote:
> I found the following reference:
> "139. Cyrillic alphabet is absolutely unacceptable for the Crimean
> Tatar phonetic and grammar system. Kurultay of Crimean Tatar People
> unanimously had decided in1991 to restore the Latin alphabet as the
> most comfortable for the Crimean Tatar language. The Crimean Tatar
> deputies group in Crimean parliament in 1997 had achieved the positive
> voting on this question..."
> http://www.minelres.lv/reports/ukraine/Article_5.htm

Thanks, that makes it clear which alphabet to use for the crh_UA locale.

> I think these references are out-of-date, or incorrect. They also
> appear to focus on Uzbekistan population of Crimean Tatars, whereas
> they now have an official status in Crimea, Ukraine, and appear to
> have largely migrated from the exile in Uzbekistan back to Crimea.

"largely" or not, I can't tell. A lexicon tells me "they have started
migrating back (from Uzbekistan to the Crim) in 1989 but the majority still
is in Uzbekistan". And here are the figures from ethnologue.com (outdated
or not, I can't judge):

      Country      People speaking Crimean Turkish

      Ukraine      200000
      Uzbekistan   189000 (1993)
      Kyrgyzstan    38000
      Romania       21482
      Bulgaria       6000
      Moldova        1859

So this looks like nearly equal population sizes in the Ukraine and in
Uzbekistan.

I'd therefore recommend to use:
  - for the glibc locales: the names crh_UA and crh_UZ.
    Use Latin alphabet for crh_UA and Cyrillic one for crh_UZ.
  - for the PO files (translations): Use crh_UA and crh_UZ as well, and
    DON'T create PO files for 'crh'.

> In short, the motivation is to reduce typing a little.

Few users nowadays enter their locale by hand. It's typically chosen
from a menu at system installation time. Which means that the user types
nothing at all.

Bruno