Re: day/abday in POSIX vs. ISO 14652

  Hello,

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 06:43:40PM +0200, Paul Marcher wrote:
> I am unsure about the current policy of the GNU C library maintainers
> concerning day/abday for countries, where the first day of the week is
> not Sunday.
> (Although a search in the archives gave some results, those results were
> rather vague statements than a clear commitment to either POSIX or ISO
> 14652.)
>
> Some locales are being moved to day/abday field _not_ starting in Sunday.
> ISO/IEC 14652.2002(E) requires in section 4.8 LC_TIME to start day/abday
> with the first day of a week (which might be Sunday or not).
> Therefore, changing the day/abday fields to reflect the first day of a
> week *seems* sound.

  the current glibc policy is the one I outlined in my two 2008 posts -
day array should always begin on Sunday and week specifier set in
accordance with that, to preserve best backwards compatibility with
applications expecting this. Then, first_weekday field should indicate
the actual first day of week in the locale.

  If you see any particular locales not matching this practice, can you
please point them out? Maybe we missed out some when sanitizing this.
Certainly no locales should currently now be "being moved to day/abday
field _not_ starting on Sunday."

  Thanks,

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer