Re: locale encodings

On 12 Nov 2013, at 9:34 AM, Steven Abner wrote:

> all data that is important, save one, is in POSIX's 7-bit ASCII

 I wish to add, the quoted strings however are UTF8 instead of the default set. Off the top of my
head, the JP file has quoted ("") strings for correct display of months, hours, etc. in UTF8.
 As far as embedded, a Japanese microwave doesn't need UTF8 for display, but the designer
who butchers the code for the microwave, even a Japanese one, can readily use UTF8 to set up
JIS0201 or even their own proprietary 128 or less byte display code, and internal communications.
That same designer could use UTF8, and default character information from glibc locales to
create an embedded version of a code set for microwaves in China.
  Not saying this is standard, but my point was, I guess, is default character set for the locale could
or should go into the ASCII section of "LC" data. Comments in any encoding get gobbled, quoted
strings either in default character set or UTF8.
  I am no expert, just food for thought.
Steve