Re: Variable length date strings in glibc locales?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 01:40:07PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 06/23/2014 11:17 AM, Marko Myllynen wrote:
> > since there were no conclusions on this I'll add something like this to
> > the wiki page in a few days if no objections which basically sets the
> > expectations based on what is implemented today:
> >
> > Application developers should note that while some of the resulting
> > strings (like int_curr_symbol of LC_MONETARY) are required to be of
> > certain length other resulting strings may vary even greatly, especially
> > between locales. Thus, testing applications with several locales is
> > recommended to make sure different length strings do not cause
> > inconsistencies in user experience.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Please note that we need not reach a conclusion, just consensus.

My opinion is that we need new keywords for linguistic abbreviations of
daynames and monthnames, which can vary in length, and a format string for that.
And then clarify that the existing abbreviations should be equal length and for
system things like logs.

I will write up a proposal for that.

Best regards
Keld