Re: NPTL for hppa-linux is not backwards compatible with Linuxthreads.

On Thursday 22 February 2007, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > All statically initialized locks are broken. We made locks smaller,
> > and changed the value of the static initialization.
>
> Smaller?  Smaller is easy.  And you didn't actually reduce
> __SIZEOF_PTHREAD_MUTEX_T, did you?  This seems like it would not be at all
> hard to accommodate just with symbol versioning and not break any
> compatibility.  Off hand, it seems like it would be some simple code in one
> new file in your sysdeps/ tree and a smattering of sysdeps Versions files.

how can you do symbol versioning on static initializers ?  the initialized
value is compiled into the .data sections of the actual binary ...

hmm ... do you mean we retain the pthread code that uses the old locking
methods and create all the new code with glibc-2.6 symbol versions ?
-mike