Error: undefined symbol: __gnu_local_gp when building glibc w/ gcc-4.3.1 & binutils-2.18

This one has me a bit stumped. Attempting to get the userland on an SGI box of mine up to snuff, and glibc is (I think), playing the part of the monkey wrench in my plans. After building it with gcc-4.3.1 and binutils-2.18, on the O32 ABI, I get this error when attempting to load any new binaries (like calling 'sh' after the install):

# sh
sh: symbol lookup error: sh: undefined symbol: __gnu_local_gp
# python
python: symbol lookup error: python: undefined symbol: __gnu_local_gp

There's very little out on google on this particular symbol. It appears it replaced a __gp symbol that binutils' linker emitted, and it may even be tied to use of the -mno-shared flag, but I haven't found any information that points to glibc itself being affected by this error.

So I thought I'd seek advice here on tracking down and fixing the cause of this. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic