Re: glibc alpha patches

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> > i have one via work for Blackfin work, but i dont think that covers glibc and
> > i think it may only be for stuff that i can say is for Blackfin work ?
> > writing patches for alpha clearly doesnt fall into that category :)
>
> You'd have to check with the FSF or your employer for details about whether it was
> restricted to Blackfin.  In this case I can verify that it doesn't
> cover glibc (assuming we're talking about Analog Devices here);
> there's assignments for about everything else under the sun, but not
> GLIBC.
>
> Some patches can fit "under the wire", as it were, and this one is
> tiny so ought to be fine anyway.

 Getting an FSF assignment sorted out for individuals is pretty
straightforward, though it may take some time before all the paperwork
has been prepared and travelled back and forth.  It may be worth doing for
all the related bits just in case, i.e. at least for GCC and binutils too,
so that if some odd problem is discovered there while working on GLIBC you
do not get stalled again.  All the assignments have to be separate for
each piece of software involved, but you can put them all together into a
single envelope. :)

> > i certainly dont claim to be an alpha expert, but i have access to alpha
> > hardware (personal and through Gentoo) and there are people in Gentoo i can
> > bounce questions off of.  your reluctance is certainly understandable, but the
> > alpha port as it stands today is already broken and needs patches to build let
> > alone actually run properly.  (dont take that statement to mean i think you
> > should be committing these patches because you have write access ... i'm just
> > reiterating the facts)
>
> Right, I acknowledge all of the above as true.  I don't have a big
> problem committing patches tested by Gentoo (or Debian, etc),
> especially for otherwise broken ports - mostly I just don't have the
> time to sanity check them.

 I can give some aid too and review things if need be.  My Alpha
experience is a bit rusty, but I have the right manuals handy in case I
need to refer to them.  It helps a lot that the Alpha architecture is
significantly similar to the MIPS one.

 The problem is time, as usually, but I hope to get better in this respect
later this year.  I do have a piece of Alpha equipment, but it is a DEC
3000 (which is not a coincidence), so I'll have to get the Linux kernel
running on it first.  Long-term I'm interested in keeping the platform
going.  At least I have all the cross-tools ready, so I can build things.

  Maciej