Re: porting glibc on top of another elf loader

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Mathieu Lacage
<mathieu.lacage@gmail.com> wrote:
> loader tls support. I spent a good while reading the glibc elf loader
> code and I am curious about its tls data structures. Specifically, I
> wonder why the loader keeps track of all tls block information in a
> specific data structure (dtv_slotinfo_list) when it could much more
> simply move all this information (module index, generation, in each
> struct link_map. Are there performance considerations which lead to
> this decision ?

For the record, and in the interest of anyone else who might be
browsing this piece of code, I believe that, indeed, yes,
dtv_slotinfo_list fully duplicates other information but it is a damn
convenient way to get access to information needed during the loader's
job. i.e., it is really useful to be able to find really quickly holes
in the module index allocation.

Mathieu
--
Mathieu Lacage <mathieu.lacage@gmail.com>