Re: [M68K/ColdFire patch 4/n] Remove kernel headers

Andreas Schwab wrote:
Maxim Kuvyrkov <maxim@codesourcery.com> writes:

Still, what was the foundation for coldfire-specific changes to
fpregset_t, i.e., the use of 8-byte entries instead of 12-byte as for
m68k?

The coldfire has 64 bit fpu registers. The patches were from Richard Sandiford.

I did some digging in the archives and found several things I was not aware before:

1. Sigcontext ABI of ColdFire is different from M68K's. It should be what the current GLIBC copy is; i.e., struct sigcontext should contain %d2-%d7, %a2-%a6 and have fpregs[8][2].

2. A kernel patch was developed by Freescale and CodeSourcery to account for the changes in ABI and also to fix various bugs. This patch is against the 2.6.10 kernel and is available at http://www.codesourcery.com/archives/coldfire-gnu-discuss/msg00141.html.

3. The kernel changes mentioned above are not included in the latest stable LTIBs for ColdFire Linux boards: ltib-m5475-20080808 and ltib-mcf5445x-20071214. This led to great confusion on my part as I considered the kernel sources in these LTIBs to represent true ABI.

Regarding the sigcontext.h header, there's no competing version in
./sysdeps/m68k/, so this one can be removed in favor of the header
installed by the kernel.

Of course, the generic linux version will be used instead, but if the kernel header is clean than that will work.

In the light of the above, I think it is too early to fall back to the kernel headers. I will seek to the necessary ABI changes to get to the upstream kernel and then will follow up on GLIBC switching to use kernel's sigcontext.h.

As things stand, GLIBC contains the true ColdFire sigcontext ABI at the moment.

Please consider the patch at the beginning of the thread bogus in several different ways :).

Thanks,

--
Maxim K.
CodeSourcery