Re: glibc am33 and cris architectures

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:

> > From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com>
> > Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:21:12 +0100
>
> > The am33 and cris glibc ports won't have worked since the 2.3-2.5 era for
> > lack of NPTL/TLS support.  They are currently on the deprecation list for
> > removal after glibc 2.16 is released
> > <http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Deprecation>.  But given how long they
> > won't have worked, I wonder if we should just remove them now.
>
> For CRIS, I'd suggest to do that.

Thanks, done.

> When doing the (e)glibc import part of the TLS support, I
> noticed how much had changed since last synch.  I suggest that
> even if someone else were to do independent work, it'd be better
> to start from scratch than be distracted by the half-way-commit
> of the originally submitted code that's currently in place.
> Best to remove it; it'll just bloat any CRIS-related patches.

I suspect ABI compatibility with the old port would also be quite tricky
(and if it comes back, it may be better for it to come back with a least
symbol version of GLIBC_2.17 or whatever is the next release version at
the time, rather than attempting ABI compatibility).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com