Re: [patch, mips] Improved memset for MIPS

On Fri, 2013-09-06 at 22:38 -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> No, libgcc won't matter unless you do cancellation, and libstdc++ doesn't
> matter because it's not a C++ application. You'll just get glibc using
> the versions of those from the related prefix directories. I don't think
> it should be making any difference here.
>
> You've certainly got your share of weird environment issues :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Carlos.

As an FYI, I think I have figured out my testing problems.  I normally
build cross toolchains by building binutils; gcc (using
--without-headers); glibc; then a final GCC.  When building on a MIPS
machine I was doing the same thing and then going back to the glibc
object directory and running 'make check' or 'make bench'.  I think the
problem with this was that the GCC now in my path (the final GCC) is not
the same GCC that I used to build glibc (the initial --without-headers
GCC).  This seemed to trigger a partial rebuild of glibc along with
building the tests and that in turn caused all sorts of weird problems.

If I build the toolchain, then build a new glibc using the final GCC and
run 'make check' or 'make bench' in that glibc object directory I get
just the expected MIPS failures.

Now that I can see the results of 'make bench' I do have a question,
what is the difference between the results in bench-memset.out and
bench-memset-ifunc.out?  MIPS doesn't yet support IFUNC.  It looks like
the results in the two files are pretty close, so maybe they are
identical runs on machines with no IFUNC?

Steve Ellcey
sellcey@mips.com