Re: Non-gcc releases

Hi Anthony,

Anthony Green wrote:
Well, it's unlikely I will be able to convince you - even as a fellow
Canadian :-)

You escaped my questions. I'll re-state it:

Why do you want copyright assignment? Why would libffi need to consist of a piece of software with a single copyright holder?

I see no need for that.

This is my biggest problem with
copyright assignment: it often drives away potential contributors, and
ends up slowing a project.

I agree that this is the biggest problem with copyright assigments, but
I don't feel it's too big a problem for libffi.

We disagree on this basic matter: I think that driving away even a single contributor is not good for the project. It is quite difficult to find people with enough knowledge about low-level technical details, so driving them away is a problem for the project (even if you don't consider it "too big").

I would reverse the question and answer: Given the permissiveness of the
current license, I see no compelling reason to require copyright assignment
on contributions to libffi.

I don't understand how the license has anything to do with this.

What is the touted value of copyright assignment, if it's not some alleged simplification of defending the code in court against copyright infringement? Now, in this particular case, the license is *so* permissive, that I have difficulty to see a situation where getting to court to settle a problem would be necessary.

I only sense some "political" motivations behind the push for copyright assignment; I hardly see any practical positive value to it.
Yet, as I have shown above, it has practical drawbacks that I consider important.

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.             http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/