Re: [Python-Dev] (libffi) Re: Copyright issue

On 28/01/2006, at 8:04 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
The compiler needs specific exemptions because parts of the GPLed
runtime libraries are included in all compiled code.  No part of the
autotools ends up in the finished code.  If it did, you would need m4
to run Python and you don't.

It doesn't matter whether it ends up in the finished code: if the aclocal.m4 is indeed GPL-licensed, then the entire Python source distribution must be GPL-licensed, because it "contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof".

The build tools: m4 scripts, the configure shell script and the Makefiles all contain GPL code and are under GPL.

However, none of this ends up in the 'finished program' which is the executable versions of Python and its associated libraries. The build tools are just tools not part of the program. The program is not 'derived' from the build tools.

Maybe it would help to put it in a another domain:
Say I decide to write the great Australian novel. I sit at my computer and type in the words. Those words are my copyright and I am able to restrict their use as provided in copyright legislation. These rights are inherent and exist regardless of whether or not I add a copyright notice. The notice is just a courtesy and a convenience which tells anyone who would like to use the work they need to get my permission. A license is just a set of standard permissions passed on with the work.

Now I print out my novel. That printed version is 'derived' from the representation in the computer. So it is covered by the same copyright. If I compress the computer files, those are still derived work. If some American decides to write the great American novel by boiler-plating large chunks of my work with a little of his, then that work is derived and copyright to both of us. His actions are legal unless he tries to publish it, which would require my permission. This is analogous to linking a program with a library provided by another party. That is why one needs the specific concessions in the gcc compiler to cover the linked run time libraries.

Of course the computer on which I wrote the book has an operating system which is copyright. The word processing software I used to do the writing is also copyright. However none of either program ends up in my novel. So the novel is not derived from them, and their copyright holders have no rights over the novel.

I can happily package appropriately licensed copies of the word processing software with the finished book. So that others can try their hand at the same thing. In no way does such an operation give the software copyright holders any rights over the book.

This is exactly analogous to including the GPL tools with your source distribution. You must comply with the GPL in respect of the GPL code. So you must include copyright notices and and make any modifications or improvements freely available. However, if you build a binary from the sources which does not include or link GPL code then the FSF have no rights over it and you are not obliged to acknowledge them or include their copyright notice.

A Python binary is no more derived from the autotools than the book is derived from the word processing software.

Bill Northcott