Re: [Python-Dev] (libffi) Re: Copyright issue

Bill Northcott wrote:
> What makes you think that?  I can see no such concession in the
> autoconf source distribution.  A configure script is built up from  lots
> of code fragments out of the autoconf and automake M4 files, and  would
> clearly be covered by GPL.

No. As I just said in the other mail: The generated configure contains
the explicit permission:

# Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
# This configure script is free software; the Free Software Foundation
# gives unlimited permission to copy, distribute and modify it.

If you look at the autoconf sources, you will find various such blocks
(e.g. in lib/autoconf/general.m4):

# As a special exception, the Free Software Foundation gives unlimited
# permission to copy, distribute and modify the configure scripts that
# are the output of Autoconf.  You need not follow the terms of the GNU
# General Public License when using or distributing such scripts, even
# though portions of the text of Autoconf appear in them.  The GNU
# General Public License (GPL) does govern all other use of the material
# that constitutes the Autoconf program.

Regards,
Martin