Problem configuring libffi when trying to cross-compile

I was recently trying to cross-compile Mozilla (which uses libffi for its js-ctypes module); compiling on a Linux host and creating Mac binaries. See http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/bz/archives/020363.html for the steps for setting up the toolchain and such.

During the configure step for libffi, the build fails. The relevant configure call looks like this:

mozilla/js/ctypes/libffi/configure --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-raw-api --enable-debug --with-pic --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --host=i686-apple-darwin9 --target=i686-apple-darwin9 --cache-file=../../../js/ctypes/libffi/config.cache --srcdir=/home/bzbarsky/mozilla/mac-test/mozilla/js/ctypes/libffi

(I tried various permutations of target and host, but they all had the same effect). The failure is:

  config.status: executing src commands
  nsinstall.c
  pathsub.c
  ld: unknown option: --eh-frame-hdr
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The --eh-frame-hdr option is not in fact supported by Apple's ld (which is not a gnu ld).

Other possibly-relevant output from the configure step:

  checking whether we are cross compiling... yes
  checking if the linker (/Developer/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
  configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet

If someone wants to try reproducing (and I do apologize for the very non-minimal steps to reproduce), the mozconfig file I'm using is attached, as well as a patch to mozilla's toplevel configure that is needed to make sure libffi's configure is running independently of the toplevel one.

I'm also happy to run whatever people want me to run locally to help sort this out.

-Boris