--enable-long-long by default?

Loren James Rittle rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com
Thu May 25 13:45:00 GMT 2000

Starting today, I get this fatal error message during bootstrap
on i686-unknown-freebsdelf3.4:

[...] instantiated from here
../../../../egcs/libstdc++-v3/bits/locale_facets.tcc:583: `strtoll'
undeclared (first use this function)
[...] instantiated from here
../../../../egcs/libstdc++-v3/bits/locale_facets.tcc:691: `strtoull'
undeclared (first use this function)
[...]

Currently working workaround: Add --enable-long-long=no configure option.

Real solution: enhance the configure test so that --disable-long-long
is the default when those functions aren't found on a system.

Another real solution: since my system does have:

     typedef long long quad_t;
     quad_t
     strtoq(const char *nptr, char **endptr, int base)

     typedef unsigned long long u_quad_t;
     u_quad_t
     strtouq(const char *nptr, char **endptr, int base)

add configure test to try to use those function instead of strtoll and
strtoull, if the latter aren't found.

Another real solution: add required functions to libiberty (and
somehow make them declared in the above scope since they aren't in all
system's headers).

Since I note that libiberty is already using strtol from BSD...
   ...we could take from that well again (although note renaming).

Regards,
Loren