map: can't compute value of an expression involving an externalsymbol...

Mark Crosland mjc@c1000907-b.sttls1.wa.home.com
Sat Jan 13 12:00:00 GMT 2001

Hello,

I am using gcc 2.95.2 on

SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-23 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

I have the following small sample program

#include <string>
#include <map>

int main()
{
    map < string, string, less<string> > aMap;

    aMap["hello"] = "???";

    aMap.erase("hello");
}

I compile using

g++ -o test mapErase.cpp

and I see
/usr/ccs/bin/as: "/tmp/cciCUUpD.s", line 2898: error: can't compute value
of an expression involving an external symbol

If I compile with -O, it compiles.

The problem is that on sparc, I have a more complicated program that -O,
0O2 or -O3 doesn't fix, but if I get rid of the most map operations it
compiles...

clues?

Thanks,
Mark Crosland