ctype.h hell on Darwin

Loren James Rittle rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com
Mon Jul 9 18:40:00 GMT 2001

In article < 20010709182110.B686@shell7.ba.best.com > you write:

> As I understand it, the "Darwin is supposed to be just like FreeBSD"
> is mainly a PR coup for FreeBSD.  (That is to say, it's false.)
> According to my sources, Darwin is mostly taken from NetBSD, with
> some FreeBSD frosting.

I have no idea when Apple forked and from which path, but I wrote Stan
that FreeBSD system headers fixed the bug he has encountered back in
1995.  Thus, either they (a) regressed (perhaps by using an
independent libc), (b) forked FreeBSD before mid-1995, or (c) actually
forked from NetBSD before August 1993.

Based upon his report, the problem is that <ctype.h> doesn't declare
the function versions of is* and to* as per C89 7.1.7.

Regards,
Loren
--
Loren J. Rittle
Senior Staff Software Engineer, Distributed Object Technology Lab