Fresh $prefix required to avoid any upgrade trouble?

Phil Edwards pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Thu Jun 7 13:25:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 02:03:51AM -0500, Loren James Rittle wrote:
> Do we need to inform people installing gcc 3.0 that they should use a
> fresh $prefix to avoid any possible trouble?
>
> For background, we current say this in gcc/doc/install.texi:
>
> > Please note that GCC does not support @samp{make uninstall} and probably
> > won't do so in the near future as this would open a can of worms. Instead,
> > we suggest that you install GCC into a directory of its own and simply
> > remove that directory when you do not need that specific version of GCC
> > any longer.

libstdc++ is part of the compiler, so the same instructions and caveats
apply.  I believe some form of that paragraph appears on the main gcc web
page as well, somewhere in the installation instructions.