annoying.. filebuf's

Phil Edwards pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Thu Jun 21 12:11:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 09:52:58AM +0200, Levente Farkas wrote:
> Phil Edwards wrote:
> >
> > "g++-3" are not ours.
> > "g++-v3" are ours.
> >
> > We don't like the names either.  :-)
>
> IMHO it'd be better to change g++-v3 to something else. it's so similar
> to g++-3 and it's so anoying. it made, makes and will make so much
> confusion. it's clear that g++-3 was a wrong name, but we can't change
> the past, but we/you have to do something.

There is a reason why "g++-3" was picked at the time.

It's already been suggested that the name should be versioned, e.g.,
g++-v3.0, g++-v3.1, etc.  Nobody had time to make the corresponding changes
in the compiler (cpplib) before the release and post a patch for comment.

I'd like to see this done, but I don't have time to make the corresponding
change to cpplib even now, after the release.  Care to give it a try?

Phil