[RFC] libstdc++/6720 and libstdc++/6671

Paolo Carlini pcarlini@unitus.it
Mon May 20 06:43:00 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I'd like to ask you opinion about those two, closely related, bug
reports, which I have triaged.

In a nutshell, it looks like the idea of giving the ext/ extension
headers the same name of the corresponding standard headers (e.g.,
<algorithm> => <ext/algorithm>) was not so good afer all :-(

Probably, some confusion stems from entry 5.4 of the FAQ, which hints at
the possibility of using -I: now this is not an option, since, when a
standard header tries to include another standard header which has a
corresponding extension in ext/, it ends up including the latter,
instead of the former!!

In fact, as suggested in 6671, we could simply change the docs
forbidding the use of -I. Alternatively, we could rename the new ext
headers (perhaps just adding a .h, Nathan?) Finally, as far as hash_map,
hash_set, rope ans slist are involved, we could suggest using -idirafter
instead of -I (I did so in answering 6720)

Ideas?

Ciao, Paolo.