[RFC] libstdc++/6720 and libstdc++/6671

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr@codesourcery.com
Tue May 21 11:13:00 GMT 2002

Nathan Myers <ncm-nospam@cantrip.org> writes:

[...]

| When you discard the solution, the problems come back.

Certainly.  But we should take care not to cure the symptoms and forget
about the problem.  Don't shoot the messenger.  The real problem is
elsewhere, and the <ext/xxx> is just exposing something much more
deeper, and no it isn't poor naming.

    #include <cmath>
    int main()
    {
       double x = std::sin(9.8);
    }

should not provoque compilation error just because there happens to be
a file named cmath in the current directory.  Cure that problem and
the symptoms with go away.

[...]

| It's better to advise fixing code than to suggest ways to avoid fixing it.

Competely agreed.  But we should fix the problem, not the symptoms.

-- Gaby