PATCH: V3 support for arm-none-symbianelf

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Mon Aug 2 20:51:00 GMT 2004

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

>Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> writes:
>
>| ! #if _GLIBCXX_HOSTED
>| ! using std::free;
>| ! #else
>| ! // In a freestanding environment, "free" may not be available.  In
>| ! // that case, it may make sense not to define "operator delete" at
>| ! // all.  For now, we assume that "free" will work.
>
>I do not understand this comment.  operator delete is required,
>freestanding or not.  So, I do not understand the bits saying it may
>make sense not to define "operator delete".  Could you clarify?

Independent of what the standard says, some systems don't have dynamic
memory management, and don't want it.

If you don't have "free" on your system, you probably do not want
"delete" either, depsite the fact that C++ requires "delete" and C does
not require "free".

Certainly, if you don't have "free" there's no obvious portable
implementation of "delete".

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC