patch - implementation of stdio_fstream

Jonathan Wakely cow@compsoc.man.ac.uk
Mon Mar 29 09:50:00 GMT 2004

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 03:18:14PM -0500, Robert Schweikert wrote:

> Here we go the legal stuff shold all be taken care off now. Here is the
> patch implementing an extension to hook the stdio_filbuf up with an
> stdio_fstream. This allows people to hook streams up to pipes
> (initialization with fd) and FILE*. Both use cases are really useful but
> no longer supported by the C++ standard.

To be clear, this interface was never part of the C++ Standard, and
referring to them as "legacy APIs" is IMHO misleading. It's a
non-standard extension provided by some implementations, including
libstdc++-v2, but not current libstdc++-v3.

In the context of software "legacy" implies deprecation or outdated-ness
to me, but file descriptors are an integral part of POSIX APIs.  Using
them from C++ programs is useful and desirable, but not un-modern. The
same holds for FILE*s.

Of course, this doesn't mean I'm not pleased to see your patch :)

jon

--
"The following story is true.  By which I mean false.  It's all lies.
 But they're entertaining lies.  And in the end, isn't that the real truth.