A quick word about the pthreadrope7 fails.

Dhruv Matani dhruvbird@gmx.net
Thu Oct 14 18:35:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 00:02, Paolo Carlini wrote:
> Dhruv Matani wrote:
>
> >Except for the first case(first allocation), all of them will be even!
> >

> Good. Therefore let's just start with 2 longs as bitmap, everywhere, and
> we are
> done once and for all!

Yes, this seems like a nice idea and simple and elegant and easy to
implement!

> >I have a beta patch in which I have used long. I figured that this
> >conversion from unsigned int to long can be only better for the
> >allocator, because now(64-bit) the CPU can manipulate 64-bits directly!
> >Hence, 64-bits in a bitmap can be checked for emptiness/fullness.
> >
> >Would you be interested in testing that out on a 64-bit machine?
> >

> Yes, of course, but see above. Also, please document that 8 in struct
> _Alloc_block:
> it must be very clear that raising to 16 guarantees alignment 16.
>
> Basically, the patch, besides the 2 above, boils down to a search and
> replace
> s/int/long/, right? No need of additional weird computations and casts!

Yes, and since you have mentioned it, the 2 reinterpret casts (one
involving one to char*) have been removed to just one!

--
        -Dhruv Matani.
http://www.geocities.com/dhruvbird/

The price of freedom is responsibility, but it's a bargain, because
freedom is priceless. ~ Hugh Downs