[v3 patch] Add std::tr1::shared_ptr

Jonathan Wakely cow@compsoc.man.ac.uk
Sat Feb 26 20:40:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 05:31:48PM -0600, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> > Noted, but I'm still grateful for it, thanks.  I'll get in touch with
> > the copyright holders again.
>
> Sorry for the delay. I'm asking for clarification on this issue from the
> FSF and will post when I have more details.

Thanks, Benjamin

> Jonathan, if you can, please wait until there is clear guidance before
> you start bugging the boost people again. Let's get our act together
> first.

I mailed the relevant people yesterday, to let them know what was going
on, and said I'd be in touch when I had a clear answer of what we'll
need from them ... so I'll wait for that answer from you.

I don't think it's reasonable to ask them to assign copyright to the FSF
when the code was written independently of GCC and will continue to be
used outside of GCC.  My understanding is that signed permission to use
the code under the GPL+exception terms should be enough.  I don't see it
as a problem that the FSF couldn't defend the copyright in court: if
someone wanted to steal the code they could steal the Boost versions
anyway.  The changes I made for GCC will by copyright FSF because I have
an assignment on file.

jon

--
"When angry, count four; when very angry, swear."
	- Mark Twain