[patch] : Adding move symantics to vector

Paolo Carlini pcarlini@suse.de
Fri Sep 9 00:28:00 GMT 2005

Howard Hinnant wrote:

> 4)  get the rvalue reference implemented in the compiler, perhaps
> under a #pragma, and use that?  Your clients could then say:  wow,
> look what happens when I turn this pragma on!  And the implementation
> difficulty in the lib could drop by an order of magnitude.
>
> I've done both lib solutions (2 and 3) and a hard core 4 (if you want
> move, you've got to change the language).  To date I'm happiest from a
> maintenance point of view with 4.  But it requires a longer point of
> view and more cooperation with compiler implementors (both good things).

Personally, I agree with everything you said. Of course, as soon as your
proposals stabilize a bit, implementing it will be the highest priority.
In the meanwhile, we are gaining some experience with the idea
(certainly we don't want to push the library-only solutions very far),
and trying to encourage the compiler people to work on 4) : after all,
even a library-only solution allows for impressive demos!

Paolo.