std::num_put<char, char*>

Paolo Carlini paolo.carlini@oracle.com
Mon Aug 11 18:04:00 GMT 2008

Hi,

> According to most of what I have read, the std::num_put facet
> should function with any output iterator

Essentially right, this is Table 52.

                                                               but it appears the libstdc++
> implementation only has a specialization for std::ostreambuf_iterator.
> Is this an oversight or was it done on purpose?

On purpose. Table 51 only mandates that has_facet<num_put<char> >(loc) shall be true, for any loc either constructed or returned by locale::classic(). Nothing is said about, legal, additional, facets identified by a given locale. In principle, that is an unbounded set, one for each possible output iterator type...

Paolo.