Re: AWT testing issues

Anthony Green wrote:
> Can you describe what you have?

Tons of little apps testing isolated things like single widgets (Buttons,
TextFields etc.), and some more complex examples (like the Kaffe WidgetsDemo).
But the point is that none of them can be used for automated testing. Most of
them log something to System.out, but in a way which is platform dependent
(e.g. on particular AWTEvent.toString() implementations). I was thinking of to
"normalize" this output so that we can test it regardless of the AWT
implementation. The other thing is to think about automated input, e.g. by
means of a playback of recorded events. But that has limitations, too. For
example, a certain AWT might not receive events for disabled components at
all, and therefore you couldn't test enable/disable with that scheme. There
also might be a dependency on how the Java event queue/dispatch thread is
interfaced with the native one (e.g. if it is in a completely asynchronous
thread or uses some kind of a blocking native getNextEvent). Then we have the
problem of rendering validation, where it gets really hard to automate
something. Seems that this is a area that needs a lot more thoughts. But
that's not a big surprise, given the kind of specification we have for the
AWT.

-- Peter