Re: [Kissme-general] Re: Should I or not submit changes?

Hi,

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 11:32, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Porting tests over to Junit might not be too exciting,
> though. I believe that (if the mauve hackers decide to
> allow junit tests) it would be a better option to have
> both frameworks in parallel for a while. As junit
> relies on reflection, it wouldn't make much sense to
> run it on an implementation with broken reflection
> libraries. ;)

I agree. We should keep the testframework as simple as possible because
it tests the core library implementation. I would like to avoid
depending on reflection.

> The major point junit has for it, in my opinion, is
> the amount of documentation surrounding it: books,
> tutorials etc. It seems to be easy to find answers.
> That could lower the entry barrier for fresh mauve
> contributors.

It would probably not that much work to have a compatibility API in
Mauve for junit tests. It isn't that different from the Mauve framework.
http://junit.sourceforge.net/javadoc/junit/framework/package-summary.html

It is nice that JUnit allows you to create a TestSuite by reflection (it
picks all methods starting with testXXX()) so you don't have to call
them directly but I don't think supporting that in Mauve is very
important.

Having a simple/short but good documentation and template/example file
for Mauve will probably be more important for people wanting to
contribute then JUnit support though.

Cheers,

Mark