Re: New java.lang.Thread tests

Hi,

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 03:29, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Mark> I didn't need it for the join() but I needed it since I wanted
> Mark> to notify() the Thread object. The join() just happened to be
> Mark> included in the synchronized block by accident.
>
> [...]
>
> See the parenthetical statement.  `notify' doesn't unlock the object
> when it performs its task.

Yes, that is why it happened. Thanks.

> So I think that we are *required* to hang
> for this program, and that instead you've found a kaffe bug.  Do you
> agree?

But I am not sure that it is a bug in Kaffe to notify the Thread object
during a join(). They probably use the Thread object itself as lock to
guard Thread state changes. It is probably a bug in the program to use a
"public" object as a monitor especially when it is one with such complex
behavior as Thread has.
I won't add an explicit test for this.
Although it would be interesting to test what the Sun JDK does in this
case.

Cheers,

Mark