Re: Configure weirdness

Hi,

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 12:25, Andrew Haley wrote:
> I note that "configure" is still missing from Mauve, despite the fact
> that the instructions tell you to run it!

OK. I failed to update the instructions and/or actually make a released
version of mauve that does contain these files. I give up my resistance.

> As far as I'm aware, this is the only free software project that
> requires its users (as opposed to maintainers) to run automake and
> autoconf.

My idea was to create an actual mauve release for users that contained
generated files. And have the CVS version only for maintainers, but
clearly users also use the CVS version. (Actually I want to get rid of
the auto* tools for Mauve since I think the only function they now have
is to find out the /tmp dir location and the file separator char. It
seems they are more trouble then they are worth for this project.)

>   This, of course, means that the users have a dependency not
> only on automake and autoconf, but on particular versions of there
> tools.  We gain nothing by having these files absent.
>
> Let's put them back.

If nobody objects I suggest you check them in. But then we have to be
careful to always check in an up to date version. They were removed in
the first place because they are generated files that were not always
updated correctly which also causes trouble for both users and
maintainers.

Cheers,

Mark