threaded malloc

I'm looking into replacing the current implementation of malloc in
newlib with one that is more suitable for embedded use.

One thing I've noticed is that the current newlib malloc stores its
data in the thread reentrancy structure.  That doesn't make much sense
for malloc.  It would seem more normal for all threads to share the
same malloc pool, with some sort of per-thread locking.

Does anybody see any problems with changing this?  I don't know
whether anybody actually uses the reentrancy stuff anyhow.

Ian