Re: user defined malloc

"Ashif S. Harji" wrote:

> I originally posted a message to the cygiwn mailing list and it was
> suggested that I also post it here.  The original message is included
> below.
>
> Basically, I am trying to find out if it is possible to provide my own
> version of malloc?  If so, does this also require _malloc_r to be
> overriden (see message below?.  And finally, if someone can provide some
> information or a link on what is required to override _malloc_r (if it is
> necessary).

The _malloc_r routine is indeed a version of malloc which uses an additional
parameter to receive a reentrancy structure.  The malloc routine simply calls _malloc_r with
the default reentrancy structure.  Internally, any reentrant library routines must
call _malloc_r instead of malloc and pass whichever reentrancy structure was
passed to them.  Thus, you want to replace the _r interfaces rather than the
top level routines like malloc() and free().

Multithreaded applications must create their own separate reentrancy structures per
thread and must use _r routines where provided.  For more information, see the
library info files (make info install-info).  You can alternatively peruse the info source
for the reentrancy chapter in newlib/libc/reent directory (reent.tex).

A while back, _malloc_r used to use manage heap storage from pools that were
stored off of the reentrancy structure.  Now, the reentrancy structure is used
as a mutex identifier for __malloc_lock and __malloc_unlock.  By default,
__malloc_lock and __malloc_unlock are only provided as stubs.

If you don't need to worry about multithreaded applications using your malloc,
simply create versions of _malloc_r, _free_r, _calloc_r, and _realloc_r that
ignore the reentrancy structure.  Otherwise, you will have to either use
a mutex system (and supply mutex routines) or use a separate pool per reentrancy
structure.

-- Jeff J.