Re: How to read documentation

Mats Liljegren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to read the documentation for the sources. I managed to read
> porting.texi by using pdftex, but I haven't figured out how to read
> texinfo-files. I can get info-files from them, but that doesn't help me
> much as I don't know how to view info-files either. I can't find in any
> readme-file what to do with either texinfo or info files.
>
> I would prefer to have them in pdf-format, which I can create from
> tex-format using pdftex. But postscript is good enough.
>
> Does anyone know how to make either pdf or postscript files out of info
> or texinfo files?
>
> Regards,
>   Mats

You can create a libc.ps file as follows:

  make info dvi

Once done, go to  "newlib build directory"/"target specifier"/newlib/libc and do

  make libc.ps

Do whatever you want with the .ps file.  Note that the make info must be done before dvi.

Regarding viewing info files:  Assuming you have done a make info install-info, set the environment
variable INFOPATH to point to "newlib install directory"/info and then issue:

  info -f libc.info

You can also specify the --directory option on the info call if you don't want to set the
environment
variable.  Issue info --help for more details.

-- Jeff Johnston (Red Hat Inc.)