Building Newlib Independently of GCC

Hi

I have been building newlib (successfully) for sometime now by creating a
soft link from the gcc sources to the newlib source directory.

The problem with this is that every time I do anything do gcc the build
system has to go through all of newlib (including the many multilibs) and
whenever I do anything to newlib the build system has to go through all of
gcc.

This is not the most satisfactory situation so I am wondering if it is
possible to split them up somehow.

Is it possible to build gcc without newlib being present, but such that it
would use newlib if I were to install it in the same place?

Is it possible to build newlib using an existing cross compiler rather
than build it at the same time as the cross compiler?

TIA

|  Andrew Stubbs,                   |  E-mail: Andrew.Stubbs@st.com    |
|  STMicroelectronics Ltd.,         |  or      stubbsa@bristol.st.com  |
|  1000 Aztec West,                 |                                  |
|  Almondsbury,                     |  Tel:    +44 (0)1454 462325      |
|  Bristol, BS32 4SQ, U.K.          |  Fax:    +44 (0)1454 617910      |