Re: [RFA:] Don't use multilib strings in libgloss/m32r/trapmon0.c

"J. Johnston" wrote:

> Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> >
> > Multi-line string literals are deprecated in gcc-3.1 and are
> > removed from GCC trunk, so some fix is needed.  Here's one I've
> > been using for a while.  Please tell if ok to commit.
> >
> > libgloss:
> > 2002-04-13  Hans-Peter Nilsson  <hp@bitrange.com>
> >
> >         * m32r/trapmon0.c (__trap0): Don't use multi-line strings.
> >

> Checked in.  Thanks.  The change to gcc is going to be a major pain for embedded developers.

I couldn't agree more.  I found 1000s of asm statements in a quick
grep of newlib, RTEMS, and gdb. :(  Hopefully most are single liners.

I accept the fact that we all are going to have to do this but ..

Could someone explain to me why this is a useful change technically?

And is there anyway short of brute force to address this?