Problem with automake

Hi all,

I understand that when I change any configure.in or Automake.am in one
of the subdirectories in the newlib source, I have to rerun autoconf
and automake from the toplevel directory and it will find and process
all respective files in the subdirectory tree. Is this the case?

In my case, autoconf completes silently without error, but automake
says:

automake: configure.in: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE' must be used
automake: no `Makefile.am' found or specified

How do I find out what's wrong? I read through the Autotools book, but
I still have a hard time figuring out what all these scripts are doing.
Particularly when things fail I don't know where to start looking.

In the above case it seems to complain about a missing Makefile.am file
in the toplevel directory. There is none, indeed. There is none in the
CVS repository or in the tarballs either.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Cheers
Stefan

Sie brauchen mehr Speicher für Ihre E-Mails? - http://premiummail.yahoo.de