Re: NetBSD clause ?= UCB clause

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> ()*&(&*% hit send )(**&^(*Y
>
> Joel Sherrill wrote:
> >
> > Jeff,
> >
> > Unfortunately, I don't think that one can remove the NetBSD clause.
> > I found this post in the Cygwin list
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2002-q1/msg00090.html
>
> Which includes this from From: Mark Bradshaw <bradshaw at staff dot
> crosswalk dot com>
> to Corinna Vinschen <cygwin-patches at cygwin dot com>.
>
> > "Bad news.  The stuff you took from OpenBSD is licensed under the BSD
> > w/advertising clause.  And, since it is owned by Klaus Klein and/or "The
> > NetBSD Foundation" it does NOT fall under the blanket changeover (from
> > w/advert clause to NO advert clause) issued by the UCalBerkeley folks.
>
> So I think the UCB change to their clause doesn't apply to NetBSD which
> is in-line with RMS' comments on the advertisement clause.

Ok, better safe than sorry.  Is there a version of the code from UCalBerkeley that
is acceptable or can be slightly modified?

If it is just a performance issue, is there any reason you cannot write the code yourself from scratch based on ARM documentation?  It shouldn't be
that difficult.  Alternatively, you could take the assembler generated from gcc and hand-tune it somewhat.

> Personally I am unwilling to impost the advert clause on all ARM-*
> newlib targets just for memcpy.  Does newlib have other advert clauses
> on code this general?  I vaguely recall some that are very target
> specific but not across all platforms on a CPU like this.

Well, that makes two of us.  I am not allowing new code to have that clause.
I am pretty sure you don't want it in RTEMS either.  There are a large number of
files in newlib that have the clause but AFAIK, they are all from the University
of California.  There were some files from Chris Demetriou, but he had
agreed to modify the license for newlib.  I still have a todo to go through
all the licensing as well as update the UCal license in COPYING.NEWLIB to contain
all the various forms.  I am going to just leave the clause in the various files and
state up front why it does not apply in COPYING.NEWLIB.  That will make life easier
and allow future file additions without modification to the license.