Re: [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions.

Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> The trouble with this idea is that older autoconf and automake aren't
> installed as $tool-$version, and last I checked, current autoconf
> doesn't install with a version suffix.  Old tools really need to be
> installed with a different --prefix.  Hmm, I suppose a few symbolic
> links would cure that problem.  What happens if you need three three
> or four different versions of autoconf?

Debian has a clever wrapper script (in the autoconf2.13 package) that
causes configure to get regenerated using 2.13 unless there's an
AC_PREREQ(2.5x) line in configure.in, or configure.in is named
configure.ac.

But I think that we really just ought to get the transition done,
assuming that it is in fact possible.

zw