i386-elf and i386-coff targets

Hello,

I've been trying to test gcc's various embedded
targets. With i386-elf and i386-coff though, I've been
having trouble building. Both targets build in gcc
expecting a crt0.o and a libsim.a. However, newlib
built for those targets produces only a cygmon-crt0.o
and libcygmon.a. My question is, is this a problem
with gcc, for expecting crt0.o and libsim.a, or with
newlib, for not producing said files (see
http://gcc.gnu.org/PR12024 for the full description)?
Thanks,

Dara (please CC: me responses as I'm not subscribed)