GCC presumed?

In some of the stdint.h/inttypes.h discussion, I've seen mention of
predefines provided by GCC, and in one case a suggestion that since the
compiler provides them, stdint.h should simply use them.

This certainly makes sense when they are provided by the compiler, but
it raises the question:

  ? Is it a design assumption in newlib that we are being compiled
    by GCC, or is newlib intended to be compatible with ANSI C99
    compilers in general?

Since Coyotos uses GCC, it's not a big deal to me either way, but it's
always good to know what is in scope and what is not when you are
relying on other people's code. :-)

Thanks

shap