How to get crt0.o without syscalls

I am trying to compile newlib-1.13.0 for an ARM target.  I designed
the hardware myself and am not running an operating system, so the
supplied syscalls are unlikely to work (right?).  However, browsing
through the crt0.S code, it looks quite suitable, assuming that
neither ARM_RDP_MONITOR nor ARM_RDI_MONITOR are defined and that I
provide an appropriate value for __stack.  (I'm not even sure what
those are for -- emulators of some sort?)  I configured newlib with
--disable-newlib-supplied-syscalls, which prevents it from defining
ARM_*_MONITOR and also, I assume, does not compile any of the
syscalls.  However, doing this also prevents crt0.o from being built.
Can I have one without the other?  (Of course, I could just copy
crt0.S to my project directory and compile it myself, but what's the
"right" way to do this?)

Also, should I be using the CVS code instead of 1.13.0?  There hasn't
been a release in a while; do most folks just use CVS snapshots?

TIA,

--
Randall