This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the newlib project.
Re: (OT) Advice needed on platform names
- From: Shaun Jackman <sjackman at gmail dot com>
- To: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap at eros-os dot org>
- Cc: newlib at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:22:42 -0700
- Subject: Re: (OT) Advice needed on platform names
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: Shaun Jackman <sjackman at gmail dot com>
I prefer the name ia32 myself, but i386 is the standard. I would wait
for the upstream authors to make the change -- if they decide to --
before doing so yourself. Unless you wish to martyrise yourself.
2005/11/17, Jonathan S. Shapiro <firstname.lastname@example.org>:
> I'ld appreciate advice from people who have more experience on this than
> I do, and many of you are on the newlib list.
> For Coyotos, if we decide to use "ia32" as the platform name for Pentium
> family (rather than i386), how much trouble are we going to make for
> My guess is that most configure scripts won't get this right, and it's
> going to commit us to a continuing patch process -- in which case I will
> reluctantly use i386.